Wiki 29875 Limited synovectomy

prayercoder

Best answers
I found info that I'd like to share:

CPT code 29875, limited synovectomy, is described as a "separate procedure." This means that the work associated with this procedure is inclusive to more extensive procedures performed in the same anatomic site (the knee) and is not separately reportable. This code should only be reported if it is the only procedure performed; separate compartment rules do not apply./American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons

CPT code 29875 has a separate procedure designation. A CPT code that has a "separate procedure" designation is always considered inclusive or integral to a more extensive procedure, same site. Coding for compartments does not apply to this CPT code. Additionally, the use of modifier 59 is incorrect as it is being reported to bypass a payor edit, not a CPT coding rule. Take a moment and review the January 2013 AAOS Now article reviewed and approved by the AAOS CPT Committee on coding for arthroscopic knee procedures where synovectomy procedures were addressed. Remember, to code according to the AMA CPT rules; do not append a modifier 59 just because a payor has an edit in place.http://www.karenzupko.com/resources/codingcoach/cc_orthoarchive_2013.html

Last edited:
I found info that I'd like to share:

CPT code 29875, limited synovectomy, is described as a "separate procedure." This means that the work associated with this procedure is inclusive to more extensive procedures performed in the same anatomic site (the knee) and is not separately reportable. This code should only be reported if it is the only procedure performed; separate compartment rules do not apply./American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons

CPT code 29875 has a separate procedure designation. A CPT code that has a "separate procedure" designation is always considered inclusive or integral to a more extensive procedure, same site. Coding for compartments does not apply to this CPT code. Additionally, the use of modifier 59 is incorrect as it is being reported to bypass a payor edit, not a CPT coding rule. Take a moment and review the January 2013 AAOS Now article reviewed and approved by the AAOS CPT Committee on coding for arthroscopic knee procedures where synovectomy procedures were addressed. Remember, to code according to the AMA CPT rules; do not append a modifier 59 just because a payor has an edit in place.http://www.karenzupko.com/resources/codingcoach/cc_orthoarchive_2013.html

not surprised as they took the chondroplasty away