Wiki 29824 and 29823-The doc did a

GraceW

Best answers
OK today I was told something by a fellow coder, who has much more experience than I do but I am unsure of her answer.

The doc did a SLAP repair 29807, also he did an extensive debridedement of the glenohumeral joint, and also did a distal clavicle resection/excision 29824. The insurance denied 29823 stating incidential to other procedures performed. I spk w/fellow coder and she tells me 29824 and 29823 don't pay out toghter. My ? is 29824 was done of the distal clavicle and 29823 was done in the GH jt - two separate areas of the shoulder. Am I right in disagreeing with this?

Grace:)

I heard the same thing in a webinar yesterday. I was told that it was a new CCI for 2013. However, I cannot find this in my 2013 CCI edits, nor can I find any documentation to support this. Also, when I put both codes in my MedAssets, it states that it can be used with the appropriate modifier. I have coded both of these out many time this year and have not heard any negative feedback thus far. If you find out more, let me know!

OK today I was told something by a fellow coder, who has much more experience than I do but I am unsure of her answer.

The doc did a SLAP repair 29807, also he did an extensive debridedement of the glenohumeral joint, and also did a distal clavicle resection/excision 29824. The insurance denied 29823 stating incidential to other procedures performed. I spk w/fellow coder and she tells me 29824 and 29823 don't pay out toghter. My ? is 29824 was done of the distal clavicle and 29823 was done in the GH jt - two separate areas of the shoulder. Am I right in disagreeing with this?

Grace:)

I would appeal on what you said and follow up. I am of the thought that if the debridement (29822-29823) is in a separate location of a shoulder repair (29807) it should be paid.