Wiki 27096 2012 Update

mhstrauss

True Blue
Best answers
Hi,

I was hoping to get some insight on the change to 27096 for 2012. This code now includes CT or fluoro guidance, which a number of other codes we use in my clinic have done; I completely understand that part. The part I would like some help with is the directive to "use 20552 if CT or fluoro is not used" beneath the new code description.

Am I completely misreading this??? 27096 is an injection into a JOINT. 20552 is an injection into MUSCLE. Am I wrong in my understanding? The lack of image guidance used shouldn't mean that the basic code description changes. To me, it seems like if guidance isn't used, 20610 (injection into a major joint or bursa) would be the appropriate code to use.

I have searched for an answer every way I can think of; would really appreciate any insight anyone can give!! :D

I sat in on a webinar a couple of weeks ago and this is what was given to us:

27096 SI injection procedure for SI joint w/ guidance (fluoro or CT) including arthrography so the imaging is bundled.

States if you did without imaging it is considered a trigger point injection 20552 which is different from the previous recommendations of 20610. They state if you don't use imaging you can't confirm you are in the 'joint' so it's a trigger point! :rolleyes:

Hope this helps!

Kris
COSC

I sat in on a webinar a couple of weeks ago and this is what was given to us:

27096 SI injection procedure for SI joint w/ guidance (fluoro or CT) including arthrography so the imaging is bundled.

States if you did without imaging it is considered a trigger point injection 20552 which is different from the previous recommendations of 20610. They state if you don't use imaging you can't confirm you are in the 'joint' so it's a trigger point! :rolleyes:

Hope this helps!

Kris
COSC

Thanks so much!! That explains it....but raises the question of why the joint injection codes even exist if you don't confirm you're in there...go figure :rolleyes:

:D