Wiki 24 Modifier - I wanted to know if I could append

amym

Best answers
I wanted to know if I could append a modifier to an office visit within a 90 day global period if the patient came in for an office visit related to the reason for surgery and a new problem? Example: Patient had a pacemaker implant due to cardiomyopathy and came for a follow up. The doctor addressed cardiomyopathy that day but also addressed patients high blood pressure, adjusted medications, etc.

Yes you can, if the documentation for treatment of the high blood pressure meets E/M guidelines. You would code 99024 for the pacemaker f/u and then the E/M level that is documented for the blood pressure with a 24 modifier.

Modifier 24 Fact Sheet

Definition
Unrelated evaluation and management (E/M) service by the same physician* during a postoperative period
Appropriate Usage
Append modifier 24 to the E/M procedure code.
Use on an unrelated E/M service beginning the day after a procedure, when the E/M is performed by the same physician* during the 10 or 90 day post-operative period.
Use modifier 24 on the E/M if documentation indicates the service was exclusively for treatment of the underlying condition and not for post-operative care.
Use modifier 24 on the E/M code when the same physician* is managing immunosuppressant therapy during the post-operative period of a transplant.
Use modifier 24 on the E/M code when the same physician* is managing chemotherapy during the post-operative period of a procedure.
When the same physician* provides unrelated critical care during the post-operative period.