Wiki 22633 & 63047

caromissunc1

Best answers
Has anybody had any luck getting 63047 paid at the same level as a postero/lateral fusion when performed for central spinal decompression? I know that the CPT book states that you can use this code only if it is for the purpose of decompression. However, according to the 2015 NCCI edit, it states that you cannot bill them out together at the same site. I was thinking of using the XU modifier since a central spinal decompression including resection of the spinous processes is not mentioned as part of the description of 22633.
Any successful appeals?
I would appreciate any feedback. :confused:
Thanks!

Has anybody had any luck getting 63047 paid at the same level as a postero/lateral fusion when performed for central spinal decompression? I know that the CPT book states that you can use this code only if it is for the purpose of decompression. However, according to the 2015 NCCI edit, it states that you cannot bill them out together at the same site. I was thinking of using the XU modifier since a central spinal decompression including resection of the spinous processes is not mentioned as part of the description of 22633.
Any successful appeals?
I would appreciate any feedback. :confused:
Thanks!

I'm not sure if this will answer your question completely, but this FAQ from Karen Zupko just came up in my email this morning; thought it might be helpful.

http://www.karenzupko.com/resources/codingcoach/cc_neuro.html

HTH!