Wiki 2014 CPC Exam

sbgill

Best answers
Has anyone taken the 2014 CPC Exam? I know they say to take the most current year's coding books, but I need to know if I will be able to pass the exam with the 2013 coding books. I really hate to purchase the 2014 version because I have already pre-ordered my 2015 coding books and they will be here in a few months. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

You must have the 2014 CPT book, or they are not supposed to let you test. When you booked your exam, there should have been a clickie about approved materials, and the proctors are supposed to follow that list to the letter

You must have the 2014 CPT book, or they are not supposed to let you test. When you booked your exam, there should have been a clickie about approved materials, and the proctors are supposed to follow that list to the letter

I received an email from the Proctor stating "Current Year is recommended but not required." This is why I was asking anyone who has taken the test this year. I wasn't sure about the number of changes/added codes to the 2014 book. But I went ahead and purchased the 2014 with next day delivery just in case. I just hope that it gets here today as I am taking the exam tomorrow! Prayers are most definitely welcomed.

I would definitely suggest having the current years book for the exam. You don't want to get to a question where you can't find the code, all because you realize that the code is a new code and not in your 2013 manual.

just a reminder the only books up[dated for 2013 was the CPT and the HCPC II book ICD-9 CM has had no updates for since Oct 2011. The same is true for 2015.

When I was taking the 2014 CPC exam I had an issue with using CPT 2013 CPT book. According to the Exam Department at AAPC has stated that you can bring more than one set of books as long as they are the allowed editions;

ie: CPT (AMA Standard or Professional Edition ONLY),

Your choice of ICD9cm (expert edition is allowed) and

Your choice of HCPCS Level II (expert editions are allowed)

**Any officially published corrections or errata belonging to these references are ALSO PERMITTED

Michele M. CPC

2013 cpt

I just recently took the 2014 CPC exam with the 2013 CPT,HCPCS, and ICD-9 books. I had a little difficulty finding a few codes for some of the CPT questions.

I realized that I needed to purchase the 2014 CPT while I was completing my online course through the AAPC. There are a handful of questions on the exam, maybe 3, where the codes were not in the 2013 book....Like breast biopsy codes. The ICD9 2013 book is fine to have for the exam as was previously stated as there were no updates to this one. The proctors did not turn anyone away at my testing site because of the previous years' books. So if any do turn anyone away, that is an unfair practice and I honestly do not think any proctors have done this. You cannot have anything taped in your books. You can flag sections with labeled tabs, etc... I also wrote on the top of each page in the guideline section in front of the ICD9 what topic was covered on each specific page. It helped me save alot of time while testing. If the question was HIV related I knew exactly where to go in my book to scan the guideline. I finished with an hour to spare and passed.