Wiki 2 surgeons and a resident

TnRushFan

Networker
Best answers
Good morning folks,
I would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

Surgeon 1 started the surgery with a resident [hemicolectomy, splenectomy, diaphragm resection, pelvic mass resection]. During her dissection she called in a colleague for intra op consult to inspect the liver, he in turn performed a partial hepatectomy - independently of surgeon 1 but with the assistance of the same resident. The resident dictated the entire op note and surgeon 1 signed it. Surgeon 2 did not sign the note and also did not document anything.

How can I code for his services...know cannot append -62, not only are they the same specialty but they worked independently of each other. We are a teaching hospital so -80 is out and not -82 either...again, he didn't assist surgeon 1 he done his own procedure and they both utilized a resident.

If he documents his own note, can I just code his CPT and link to him independently?
If he creates an addendum to surgeon 1 op note documenting his work will that cover coding his CPT and link to him?
Since they both used the same resident and the resident dictated the note, if he cosigns the note will that be legal documentation to add him and his code?

Thanks in advance...

Request the surgeon dictate a separate note, clarify to him/her that the only way to bill for their charges is with a separate note.
So you'd bill Surgeon 1 with hemicolectomy, splenectomy, diaphragm resection, pelvic mass resection, then surgeon 2 with partial hepatectomy.

Hope this helps
Regards,