Wiki 2 separate consults same day help!

jenkins62

Contributor
Best answers
COMPLETELY SEPARATE DOCTOR PUT PT IN HOSPITAL... AND REQUESTED A CONSULT

DOCTOR A SEEN PT IN HOSPITAL AND DICTATED CONSULT (DOCTOR ON CALL)

DOCTOR B SEEN PT SAME DAY IN HOSPITAL DICTATED CONSULT TOOK PT TO SURGERY AND DICTATED THE OP-NOTE ON SAME DAY. (THIS IS THE PT NORMAL DOCTOR AND PT WANTS HIM TO DO SURGERY)

DOCTOR A SAME TYPE OF SURGEON PRACTICING WITH A SEPARATE NPI/TAX ID NUMBER PRACTING HERE IN OUR OFFICE BUT NOT A PART OF THE PRACTICE-SUB SPECIALITY SPORTS MEDICINE ORTHO

DOCTOR B SPECIALITY GENERAL ORTHO AND DOCTOR B IS PART OF THE PRACTICE

SHOULD I BILL DOCTOR A CONSULT W/MODIFER 56 AND BILLED DOCTOR B CONSULT AND OP-NOTE?? OR NO CHARGE CONSULT? HOW SHOULD I BILL THE CONSULTS?

NOT SURE ABOUT THIS ONE... THANK YOU...:confused:
MEDICARE INSURANCE (I KNOW MEDICARE DOES NOT TAKE CONSULTS-I WILL BE BILLING INITIAL HOSPITAL CARE NOT CONSULT)

Last edited:
who saw patient first? who was the attending and did he/she request the consult? if dr.b was requested bill his consult with a 57 and then bill surgery. Really once you research and find that your dr. b was actually requested then you want to bill asap.

Could you tell me why both doc were called for a consutaltion? If doctor A was the doctor on call and couldn't do the surgery and referral the patient over to Dr B, this wouldn't be a consult. If this is the case Dr B should just charge a visit. Remember medicare not longer accept consultation codes