Wiki 2 Consults

brittany1356

Networker
Best answers
Hello. This is the first time I have come across this, I have 2 of my physicians that did consults on the same day for the same patient. Is there a way that I can bill for them both? The first was a general consult, and the 2nd was a consult for a pacemaker implantation. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Brittany, CPC-A

Hello. This is the first time I have come across this, I have 2 of my physicians that did consults on the same day for the same patient. Is there a way that I can bill for them both? The first was a general consult, and the 2nd was a consult for a pacemaker implantation. Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Brittany, CPC-A

If it was for a Medicare patient, you cannot use a consult code at all, but you can bill for two separate E/M visits. If it is for a commercial carrier that still accepts consult codes then you can bill for two codes.

are these two doctors under the same tax id? Did the "general consult" include mention of the need for a pacemaker? I would think if yes were the answer to either of these questions, you would not be avle to bill two E&M codes on the same day.

Do you have two written requests from a provider for the consults so that you can show they were requested? If so, then I would say you can bill for two consults.

It would be strange to have two consults in one day from the same referring!!

Was the second consult really passing the patient over to you for your provider to take care of the patient? If so, then you would not have two consults