Wiki 2 anesthesiolgist on same case

SHOES29

Contributor
Best answers
When we have an attending anesthesiolgist starting the surgery and leaves after 2 hours and another attending anesthesiolgist takes over the case for the reaminder of the surgery. The 2nd attending inserts an art line. Who gets billed for the art line? Would it be billed under the 1st attending or the one who placed it. (2nd anesthesiologist) Which means there would be 2 seperate claims for this patient. When this happens (and not very often) we have always billed the art/cvp line insertion under the 1st attending that started the case. Now, our compliance department is telling us that if a different attending anesthesiologist inserted a line, it should be billed under him/her. Has anyone come across this situation and if you have, how do you handle these situations?

Thanks!!!

It has to be reported under the provider who placed the A-Line. Look at the requirements on the back of the CMS-1500, it states you are submitting a claim and it represents the provider who performed the service.

our facility has made the decision to bill by the physician who spends most time on the case, since we are a teaching facility. I always billed the ancillary services under the physician with the most time even if he didn't start the case. All this time i have been doing this wrong? Wow!!!

We bill for the lines and others things by who actually placed them. We put the anesthesiologists in under the times each were on the case.

I was just wondering how you bill for these? Do you have 01402 Dr A and 01402 59 Dr B on a separate claim?
Can you also give me some documentation on where you have read this inforamtion.
Thanks,