Wiki 1997 exam

daniel

True Blue
Best answers
1997 MULTI GENERAL EXAM

I'M USE TO USING THE 1995 GUIDELINES, AND JUST GOT PICKED UP WITH A HOSPITAL WHO USES THE 1997 GUIDELINES.

SO HERE I AM LEARNING TO BREAK DOWN THESE BULLETS.

IS THIS JUST ONE BULLET

ABD- Soft, non-tender, non-distended, +BS, obese, no mass.

OR

ABD: SOFT, SUPPLE, NONTENDER, NO MASSES
BOWEL SOUNDS PRESENT,

(I SAY YES) BUT JUST LOOKING FOR INPUT OUT THERE. ANY POINTERS.

THANK YOU
DANIEL, CPC

One bullet

Yes, Daniel, just one bullet. There is no separate "credit" for auscultation (bowel sounds) in the GI/Abdomen section on 1997 guidelines like there is for Respiratory and CV.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

1995 vs 1997 guidelines

is there a subtle different btwn the 95 & 97 guidelines. It is my understanding that a practice/facility has to choose which guidelines that they want to go by and all coding/auditing is based upon their choice? Thanks for any clarification!

HAPPY CODING!

1995 vs 1997

There is a HUGE difference in the exam portion of 1995 vs 1997.

A practice MAY use either set of guidelines, and may even switch back and forth from note to note. (But you have to stick with one set for each individual note. Cannot mix the 1997 HPI guideline with the 1995 exam guideline.)

That being said, many practices make a decision to follow one or the other set of guidelines and stick to that protocol.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

1997 MULTI GENERAL EXAM

I'M USE TO USING THE 1995 GUIDELINES, AND JUST GOT PICKED UP WITH A HOSPITAL WHO USES THE 1997 GUIDELINES.

SO HERE I AM LEARNING TO BREAK DOWN THESE BULLETS.

IS THIS JUST ONE BULLET

ABD- Soft, non-tender, non-distended, +BS, obese, no mass.

OR

ABD: SOFT, SUPPLE, NONTENDER, NO MASSES
BOWEL SOUNDS PRESENT,

(I SAY YES) BUT JUST LOOKING FOR INPUT OUT THERE. ANY POINTERS.

THANK YOU
DANIEL, CPC

Just one question.. are you billing for the hospital outpatient or the physician? Because when you say you got picked up with a hospital that leads me to think you are doing facility coding. Facilities do not use either 1995 or 1997 guidelines. Just wondering.