Wiki 15275 Application skin substitute

heatherposchman1

Networker
Best answers
Would it be appropriate to code CPT 15275 when the allograft material is placed into a surgical site (not a non-healing wound) prior to closure of the surgical site? The provider does this to potentially reduce adhesions at the site.

I would first question whether the provider is using allograft material or an adhesion barrier material (like Seprafilm or Interceed).
If using an adhesion barrier material, there is no separate code for this. It is integral to the surgery
If using an actual allograft material (just because I've never seen it doesn't mean it's not possible), 15275 does not seem appropriate. Perhaps unlisted??

I would first question whether the provider is using allograft material or an adhesion barrier material (like Seprafilm or Interceed).
If using an adhesion barrier material, there is no separate code for this. It is integral to the surgery
If using an actual allograft material (just because I've never seen it doesn't mean it's not possible), 15275 does not seem appropriate. Perhaps unlisted??

Thank you for your reply. The provider is using Therion Chorioamniotic Allograft (aka NeoPatch) and places it inside the surgical site prior to closure. I also felt that 15275 does not seem to be appropriate but I was hoping there was a more appropriate code to use other than an unlisted code.

In gyn surgeries, I've only ever seen adhesion barrier - never allograft - inserted into the surgical wound. Integumentary not my area of specialty, but I am not aware of any existing code to capture allograft inside a surgical wound that is then closed. Is this maybe done by a specific type of specialty and that specialty society can provide some guidance? Absent that, I would use unlisted comparing to 15275. I would also discuss this with the provider giving the full description and see if perhaps 15275 would be appropriate.

15275 Application of skin substitute graft to face, scalp, eyelids, mouth, neck, ears, orbits, genitalia, hands, feet, and/or multiple digits, total wound surface area up to 100 sq cm; first 25 sq cm or less wound surface area
The provider uses a skin substitute, such as an allograft or xenograft, to cover wounds on the face, scalp, eyelids, mouth, neck, ears, orbits, genitalia, hands, feet, and/or multiple digits, up to an area of 100 cm2. This code covers up to the first 25 cm2.

Clinical Responsibility
When the patient is appropriately prepped and anesthetized, the provider prepares the wound surface in the region of the patient’s face, scalp, eyelids, mouth, neck, ears, orbits, genitalia, hands, feet, and/or multiple digits, by cleaning it with antiseptic. The provider prepares the skin substitute graft according the shape and size of the wound. He then transplants the skin substitute graft to the wound, which is sterile now. The provider ensures that the skin substitute graft properly adheres to the area of the wound. This procedure prevents the wound from getting infected, covers the wound and enables the skin to heal. The procedure also improves the cosmetic appearance of the area of the wound. This code represents the first 25 cm2 of the wound surface area.