Wiki US guidance for nerve blocks

klane7

Contributor
Best answers
We do US guidance for the majority of our nerve blocks and use the 26, 59 modifiers. If the block is done for post op pain control, we bill the block and the US. If the block is done for surgical anesthesia, we only bill the US, not the block. We DO get paid for these. Is anyone else billing like this?

Also, if the block is done for surgical anesthesia with US, DURING the procedure, can we still bill the US separately? This is the one that our auditor is having an issue with.

We have been billing the ultrasound 76942-26 without the block and are getting paid. I know that some companies say that you shouldn't be doing that but my anesthesiologists feel they should be able to charge for the ultrasound.

Alicia, CPC

We do US guidance for the majority of our nerve blocks and use the 26, 59 modifiers. If the block is done for post op pain control, we bill the block and the US. If the block is done for surgical anesthesia, we only bill the US, not the block. We DO get paid for these. Is anyone else billing like this?

Also, if the block is done for surgical anesthesia with US, DURING the procedure, can we still bill the US separately? This is the one that our auditor is having an issue with.

Hi, we bill both scenarios mentioned.

As anesthesia physician billing:

1. when blocks are used as the primary anesthetic for surgical anesthesia we do not bill the US.
2. When blocks are used for post procedural acute pain, we bill the US.

I hope this helps.