Wiki Twins delivery

lbeagle

Best answers
Twin A delivered by Dr A and four hours later Twin B delivered by Dr. B. This is a patient who we saw through the ED and not prenatally. I was thinking I would use 59409 with Twin A dx code an 59409 -59 with Twin B dx code ????

Any help appreciated

Thanks

ed

I wonder if it would be more appropriate to use Modifier 77?

77 - Repeat Procedure or Service by Another Physician or Other Qualified Health Care Professional: It may be necessary to indicate that a procedure or service was repeated by another Physician subsequent to the original procedure or service.

Not sure, just wondering.....

The billing scenario you have given does align with ACOG's guidance, however I don't know if the different providers are being taken into consideration. You could submit a coding inquiry to them. The modifier 77 scenario mentioned above is interesting and I wonder if it would work? Sorry not much help but this is a quit unique situation. Are the billing providers of the same provider group?

I had a triplet delivery with three different doctors. Similar situation for billing. I used modifier 59 with appropriate dx codes for triplet and sent documentation supporting that each baby was delivered by different physician. We were paid by the insurance carrier.