Wiki Shoulder Compartments

jendp79

New
Best answers
As I understand the shoulder has different compartments (like the knee) and that these compartments are considered different sites. I am having trouble finding a diagram, etc. that shows the different shoulder compartments. Does anyone know if there is anything like a diagram for the shoulder areas and whats included? I've been searching for this information, but no luck. Thanks!!!!

As I understand the shoulder has different compartments (like the knee) and that these compartments are considered different sites. I am having trouble finding a diagram, etc. that shows the different shoulder compartments. Does anyone know if there is anything like a diagram for the shoulder areas and whats included? I've been searching for this information, but no luck. Thanks!!!!

I am not aware of any payor who splits the shoulder into compartments.

Per CMS NCCI edits....the should is NOT separate compartments....you can find this in the NCCI edits instruction manual

There are compartments in the shoulder, but not all payers will recognize them.

It's more important to find out what edits and edit policies are in place for a particular payer. Some follow AAOS, some follow NCCI, some have a combination of two and then some.

As previously stated however, if the payer does follow NCCI, it is never appropriate to unbundle the shoulder unless the procedures are performed on contralateral shoulders.