Wiki ruling out...

Best answers
If a provider is doing an endometrial biopsy to rule out endometritis, what would suggestions be as how to icd 10 code this?

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

you code the symptoms that are the reason for the biopsy. However if you wait for the pathology report you can code the biopsy with the path result.

when I see things like this I have to ask... Why did THIS patient with the missed AB need an EMB?.... not all patients with missed AB have an EMB so there must be something not being documented. otherwise you will use the missed AB as the dx code. OR wait for the path report and if it is negative then use the missed AB code. I am not saying the biopsy will be paid with that dx code, however if you are unable to obtain documentation as to the reason for the procedure then that is all you will have.

Thank you so much! My thought process always goes to results if the documentation doesn't, in plain black and white, explain why the EMB was done! I appreciate the support you have given!!!

I wasn't actually coding or billing the EMB, but I looked through the documentation to try and find the symptoms/reasoning for the EMB. I over heard the provider verbally tell the biller the EMB was to rule out endometritis. (I do not bill anything with a verbal! I bill with documentation, signed and dated, attestation has to be included, OR I wait for pathology reports! Our providers have been drawing hgbA1c's and they now need a Cat II code if diabetes isn't the diagnosis used. That being said, they have been coded and billed and I am having to fix the rejections, which means, waiting for the result of the lab draw!!!)

This is why I was looking for input.

Thank you so much! I want to become as efficient as possible and I ALWAYS look for encouragement from fellow coders, especially those with more experience!