Wiki Please help ASC questions

abs1821

Best answers
I'm still very new to coding and I'm studying for the CPC and I've accepted a position billing for a pain management clinic that also has an ASC attached. I can't seem to find anything helpful to learn or even ask questions about either.

Is there any webinars, books, etc you can recommend so I can get familiar with this and know that I'm coding this correctly.

One big issue I'm facing is that our Dr's circle multiple dx and I have no way of knowing which is primary and I'm unable to pull dictation due to not having the correct software. We are billing in house now instead of using a billing service and I was told the billing service didn't use dictation always.

I'm not sure why your ASC would want to bill without using dictation as the definitive document. Besides having a risk for compliance issues or medical necessity problems, they're probably either bundling procedures or missing out on revenue opportunities. I'd try to get my hands on the dictation, particularly once you have your coding certification. Sending a claim out the door as a certified coder without having first reviewed the documentation is not the best idea I have heard today, but that's my opinion. There is an AAPC Certification that might help you; you could purchase the study guide for assistance. It's the CASCC certification (Certified Ambulatory Surgery Center Coder).