Wiki Modifier 22 on ultrasounds ???

Best answers
Does anyone have any information on appending modifer 22 to ultrasounds? I have recently had some cases where an ultrasound would take longer and are more difficult due to indications such as morbid obesity or due to thick fibroids. Is this a permissable modifier to use for these codes? Any feedback would be great?

Generally a mod 22 is used on procedure code that has a global of 000, 010, or 090. It's listed as a surgery modifier I believe.

Additionally there must be 2 or more:
(1) Unusually lengthy procedure.
(2)Excessive blood loss during the procedure.
(3)Presence of an excessively large surgical specimen (especially in abdominal surgery).
(4)Trauma extensive enough to complicate the procedure and not billed as separate procedure codes.
(5)Other pathologies, tumors, malformations (genetic, traumatic, surgical) that directly interfere with the procedure but are not billed as separate procedure codes.
(6)The services rendered are significantly more complex than described for the submitted CPT or HCPCS code and is unable to report a secondary procedure for the additional work.

I hope this helps!
Holly

I've been coding radiology for 6 months so don't you my word as the final say so. I've been told you never use -22 in radiology unless the Dr. says increased services. Which I've never seen one yet and I code for 5 different radiologist.