Wiki MED pt had other foot done and not paying

megantun13

Best answers
I have a medicare patient who had left bunion done in September then her right in November and medicare is denying her right foot saying it was done in post-op period. I used the rt/lt modifiers on each surgery respectively, of course, so what else can I do to get this paid?? Any ideas?

Megan

I have a medicare patient who had left bunion done in September then her right in November and medicare is denying her right foot saying it was done in post-op period. I used the rt/lt modifiers on each surgery respectively, of course, so what else can I do to get this paid?? Any ideas?

Megan

LT/RT modifiers are not sufficient for a surgery that was performed during the global period of another. You also need modifier 79 on the second surgery.

The modifier that best describes the scenario you present would be modifier i 79, not necissarily a laterality modifier. You have to turn off the global effect to get reimbursed for the 2nd procedure when performed during an active global period.

Definition:
"Unrelated Procedure or Service by the Same Physician or Other Qualified Health Care Professional During the Postoperative Period"