Wiki mal union fracture and surgery

scooter1

Expert
Best answers
Patient had a mal union of the distal radius fracture. The doctor is performing
surgery to correct the mal union. What would be the correct icd 10 7th character for the surgical procedure ?
Do I use A ( as it is active treatment for the mal union )
Or do I use P ( for the mal union)
I am thinking A, because of the active treatment.
Please help

If the patient has already been treated for the fracture and now presents with a mal union the you use the subsequent encounter with mal union 7 th character, P if the original fracture was closed. This is not the initial active treatment, thus is subsequent treatment of the same fracture. Guidelines for 2015 however clarified that if the patient delayed in seeking treatment for the fracture and presents and is diagnosed with a malunion of a non treated fracture, then this is the patients initial encounter for active treatment of a fracture that is in a mal Union status. So the difference is whether the fracture has been treated previous to thus encounter.

nonunion

What if the patient was previously treated for the fracture. It has been determined nonunion and they have been receiving therapy and are scheduled for surgery to repair the nonunion. Would the 7th character A be used for the surgery of the nonunion?