Wiki Intraoperative Consult-scrubbed in

tmerickson

Best answers
Hi All,

I need help, please. My provider was called in during a c-section by another provider to check for a possible bladder injury. I have no idea how to code this now that we don't use the consult codes. Below is the documentation:

"This physician was called in intraoperatively during a repeat c-section for a possible bladder injury and for evaluation. It was noted by the other surgeron that the pt had had extensive scarring from previous c-sections. During his entry into the ab, there was extensive scar tissue of the bladder to the peritoneum and it was suspected that a possible bladder injury had occured. This physician was then called in for a consultation to evaluate this.

The Pfannenstiel incision had been created and the rectus muscle fascia had been incised and seperated. There was noted to be scarring, with dense scar tissue of the bladder to the peritoneum. Evaluation of the bladder revealed no distinct perforation. The, 20ml of sterile milk was instilled into the foley cath with adequate distension of the bladder. No leakage noted. Sterile milk allowed to drain into cath. The pelvis was then copiously irrigated with sterile saline and this phycisian continued to assist with the closure of the fascia."

The 1st surgeon didn't list my provider as an assist. He did however document her assistance. Would this be a co-surgeon situation?
All help is much appreciated!