Wiki Inpatient hosp svcs with abscess drainage

debellis59

Networker
Best answers
My heart is sick. I think that most of our providers' services for an inpatient lady will be nonbillable, but do want confirmation before I proceed. This patient was admitted for CHF exacerbation and chronic hypoxic respiratory failure. But, she was having also severe vulvar pain, possible abscess, and so the OBGYN department was consulted. The patient had an vulvar abscess drainage done on the 10th, wasn't discharged until the 23rd. The Gyns saw her every day for checking on it, packing, etc. The CPT 56405 has a global of ten days, so I'm thinking BECAUSE that's why my docs were going that those services are nonbillable until that global is up. She was returned to the OR a couple times for debridement and further drainage so I know I can bill for those with the appropriate modifiers, but just concerned for the days she's just seen and checked up on without a further procedure.

I am just looking to see if that's still the case for inpatient ... but I'm sure it is. Anyone?

Thank you to anyone who is able to help.

Your initial post is correct, you cannot bill for your providers visits during the global period for the procedure performed by the other OB/GYN in the same group as your provider. Sorry!
That's what I expected. I just wanted confirmation since it was inpatient ... mostly because of a meeting we're having tomorrow ... and I do need to deal with coding that patient. Thank you so much!