Wiki induced menstrual suppression

gailmc

Networker
Best answers
Our provider is giving a patient depo provera to induce menstrual suppression (patient is in our BMT unit.) What dx code would I use?
I was thinking 626.8 "Menstruation: suppression of", but the provider is giving the injection to induce menstrual suppression - the patient does not have that dx yet.

Or V25.3 Menstrual Regulation?

Any help would be appreciated.

Did you mean to say that the patient is/on for Bone Marrow Transplant.?
Well if so, then the doctor is trying to 'suppress the mensturation" as a mandatary treatment and in the real medical terminology , it is a kind of inducing' secondary amenorrhoea'/ or in other words inducing a temporary 'Artificial Menopause' /induced menopause..
Well, if your doctor's intention is so on therapeutic cause, and she gives the injection with an intension of inducing a state of menopuse for about 6 months and more, this diagnosis would suit and you can assign the code 627.4 very well.

But if your scenerio is not as I said above, and if she is being given an injection for treating a bleeding episode like Dysfunctional Uterine bleeding or any menorrhagia, or metrorrhagia or menometrrorrhagia and so forth, then your diagnosis code 626.8 or 626.2-626.8 can be used (as appropriate).

I hope this helps!

Thank you. You make some very valuable points. The first scenario is correct and I will use 627.4