Wiki how to code for a return Pap smear

masseytc

Best answers
A 25-year-old patient presented for a physical exam without a Pap (during menses). I billed for 993XX with DX code V70.0. The patient returned two weeks later for her Pap. I can't use another 993XX code so what CPT code should I use? I know the ICD-9 code is V76.2 but not sure about the CPT code. Please help!

I consider this "finishing" the 993XX service. I would not charge an E&M if that is all they were seen for (to collect the pap) We do charge the Q0091 with the V76.2. Hope this helps! :)

I consider this "finishing" the 993XX service. I would not charge an E&M if that is all they were seen for (to collect the pap) We do charge the Q0091 with the V76.2. Hope this helps! :)

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Q0091 code is for Medicare only.

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the Q0091 code is for Medicare only.

I don't believe Q0091 is strictly for Medicare but I did check with my billing department and this is widely non covered by many payers but we believe we DO have a few payers who will pay this. Sometimes I cant remember exactly how our facility came to a decision on something but I believe we decided that we would enter the charge since some payers did pay it. Let me know if you have any further info. I appreciate your input!