Wiki Global OB package?

Best answers
Not sure if this question has been asked before. First off, I am new to OB/GYN coding, bare with me! I have a provider that just joined our OB/GYN group and is bringing over her patients from her previous practice. Several of these patients are in the middle of their pregnancy. Should we be billing the global package for the delivery or bill charges separately? We would be using the same individual NPI from her previous claims with her previous group but a different Tax-id.

I believe the answer lies in part in how she joined your practice. For example, if she was employed by a different group, they are likely entitled to payment for the services she rendered while employed by them. If she was private practice and your practice purchased her practice (including A/R), then your practice might be OK billing global.
In these situations, basically the patient did transfer care from one group to another group, so billing would usually be split.
Good references for new ob/gyn billers are:
Additionally, if you providers are ACOG members (I can't imagine they are not), you can ask a coding question for free through ACOG. They request no more than 3 per month per practice. I've done it very sporadically (maybe 2 in the past 5 years), but the response is usually within a week. I will gladly take free coding advice from experts.
BTW - I'm not an expert in global ob, so if someone has contracting advice, feel free to chime in!

Thank you for this great information and links! I will most definitely check those out. This provider was hired into a new group that was just established within HCA. She was previously an employee of a large organization as well. I guess my biggest question is: Does her new practice bill with the global OB package or do we bill for piece work since some of the services were preformed within another group?

Most of the time you will split the billing. There could be exceptions if the new group hired not just her, but also purchased the accounts receivable from the old group. This is very rarely done one provider moving group to group, and would typically be if the new group or a health care system purchased the previous group, including the accounts receivables. It depends on the contracts.