Wiki ED Coders ! I really need your advice

Justarose

Best answers
I am about to embark on a new coding experience - ED

Up until now I have been mostly out patient coder : free standing facility ...can you give me a "crash course" :D

Seriously ...can anyone offer advice on the most important differences - where I can go to find info when struggling - books, cd's, any help possible ??

Is anyone familiar with MedLearn's books - they have a 2 book set on ED coding that looks really good...but looks can be deceiving ...and very expensive ...

I want to succeed and know that I can ... with your help;)

thank you so much !!

Last edited:
Sparkles thanks for responding!
Honestly I don't know the answer to that question ... but that profee sounds like something I might have heard ...I think that is what it is ... the more I think about it ..

Can you give me some insight into what they mean ?

up until now I have been an OP coder in a free standing facility ..how different will it be ?

thanks for whatever advice or direction you can give me !

Thank you! Can anyone tell me any info on using the 3m
system? Advice, tidbits on the good , bad and the ugly facets
to this system... My experience has been with SIS, mysis, vision
all out pt or physician systems ...

I use the 3M system at our facility. I also do ED outpatient coding. 3M is great and if you will be doing the E/M levels as well you can go under the procedure tab, type E and it will give you questions to answer to choose your E/M level. ( I think the questions are tricky though). Good luck.

Hi Terie,

You can also use the website - http:\\emuniversity.com

Happy ER coding!

ED Coding

Thanks for the links to the websites above. I too will be working as an ED coder doing facility coding and this information is excellent. :)

Re ED Coders

ingenix has a good book out on common dx, procedures and cci edits the coding companion. it would be a good tool to anyone just starting out. i use it mostly for reference, when i am stumped, my answer is right there