Can you use a code if only a prescription was done?

Best answers
If the provider does not talk about the problem. But he/she writes a prescription for the problem. Can we code it. Like depression. He prescribed depression medication but did not go over the patient depression. Or DM he speaks about Dm but does not state neuropathy is related to DM do we code E11.40 or e11.9 and the g code for neuropathy?

That doesn't sound like a billable visit if it is only to write the prescription for the patient. Was an evaluation of the patient completed? If not, then I don't believe you have anything to charge for anyway.

Yes e/m was meet. The issue is if the provider did not talk to the patient about depression but wrote out a prescription. Or the patient has DM E11.9. But also has neuropathy. But the prescriber does not say it is dm with neuropathyE11.40. The patient broke her feet, both. Should I use E11.40 and F32.A

Yes e/m was meet. The issue is if the provider did not talk to the patient about depression but wrote out a prescription. Or the patient has DM E11.9. But also has neuropathy. But the prescriber does not say it is dm with neuropathyE11.40. The patient broke her feet, both. Should I use E11.40 and F32.A

The provider does not have to specifically link the DM and neuropathy. There is an assumed linkage, per the ICD-10-CM guidelines.

If both conditions are supported, you would not use the G code for neuropathy unless the provider specifically stated that it was NOT related to the diabetes. Otherwise, the guidelines tell you to assume the linkage.