Wiki Aborted placement of IUD

natashalage

Expert
Best answers
Hello coding community, :) Could you please help me with coding such case? Do I need to code CPT for placement IUD with -53 or not to code 58300 at all? I understand the meaning of -53 but I don't know how far does the MD should go with IUD placement in order for us to use 53 with 58300? Is my case with -53 or it's not billable? Pt comes specifically for IUD placement, no E/M. Thank you very much in advance.
1599231595511.png

To me, this is right on the cusp of didn't really even start the procedure since only sounding was done. If the IUD was opened, and actually attempted, then definitely 58300-53. Surgical procedures with anesthesia, also definitely the surgical procedure-53.
In this scenario, I would recommend billing E/M and sono. But I would also say 58300-53 is not wrong. And honestly, a low/mid level E/M vs 58300-53 will probably wind up with about the same payment. The 58300-53 will get pended for documentation.

Dear Christine, Thank you! And I want to Thank the entire OB/GYN community of Experts for carrying us on, all new coders, afloat so we can learn and survive in this complex and very interesting field! We are absorbing your knowledge, and we greatly appreciate your experience and time that you spent in helping us. I am looking forward to the day when I can do the same for others. And I know it will come! Thank you. :)