Wiki Moving on

JLHunt

New
Best answers
I paid for the class. Took the class. Passed the classed. Paid for the test. Took the test. Passed the test. Looked for a job. Couldn't find one because every single, every single job posting wants experience. It's like not one organization on planet Earth has a solid training program set up. This is the first position I have ever came across that utterly refuses to take anyone without experience. You can be an RN, CNA, Sonographer, CT tech, EMT and so on with zero experience and will be hired with just your credentials. Positions that have direct patient interaction and could cause harm or kill if not done properly you can do with zero experience, but not medical coding.....

Some medical billing jobs are requiring CPC certification ON TOP of experience... So trying to just "get my foot in the door" is not happening.

The certification I paid and took the time and energy to get means nothing in some cases. They just want experience. I know that "ghost jobs" have been floating around the past year or two, but this is ridiculous.

I am a business major, and from what I learned in college, what is going on here is saturation in the market. I have seen starting pay when I first started my CPC course go down when I was finished. So many want the job that employers can lower the wages. So many want the job that all employers can have insane, unreasonable requirements. It just seems very saturated. Also, since the lockdowns, I feel like the industry was flooded with people who wanted to "work from home". And you can do that with medical coding. The same thing happened with freight brokering and with real estate agents.

I have maintained my certification for a year. I did my CEUs. I managed to get all of them for free, but I only needed a few for my first. I paid my membership renewal, which isn't cheap.

After two years, I have sunk a lot of time and a lot of money into this, and it has given back nothing. I am seriously considering letting my certification expire and stop sinking more money and time into it. I am already enrolled in a CNA program and can get a job the day I am done testing. It was a requirement for the degree I am enrolled for, cardiac sonography. The local hospital hires you before you finish sonography school. So no issues there. The pay is also better. Lots of organizations have sign on bonuses and will take you with absolutely no experience, just the credential. It gives the impression like the job market for this position actually needs people, and will hire them. (you don't get that impression from medical coding)

Now, I need a lot of CEUs to renew and my membership renewal is coming up in September. I found some free CEUs, but because I need so many, they will not be sufficent. Definitely will not be enough free CEUs for the next renewal either.
Should I just stop pouring money and time into something that is not doing anything for me, especially since I have given up and are moving on because my life can't wait for someone to "feel" like hiring me? I am just tired of wasting money and time. Anyone have some real life wisdom or guidance?

Last edited:
I paid for the class. Took the class. Passed the classed. Paid for the test. Took the test. Passed the test. Looked for a job. Couldn't find one because every single, every single job posting wants experience. It's like not one organization on planet Earth has a solid training program set up. This is the first position I have ever came across that utterly refuses to take anyone without experience. You can be an RN, CNA, Sonographer, CT tech, EMT and so on with zero experience and will be hired with just your credentials. Positions that have direct patient interaction and could cause harm or kill if not done properly you can do with zero experience, but not medical coding.....

Some medical billing jobs are requiring CPC certification ON TOP of experience... So trying to just "get my foot in the door" is not happening.

The certification I paid and took the time and energy to get means nothing in some cases. They just want experience. I know that "ghost jobs" have been floating around the past year or two, but this is ridiculous.

I am a business major, and from what I learned in college, what is going on here is saturation in the market. I have seen starting pay when I first started my CPC course go down when I was finished. So many want the job that employers can lower the wages. So many want the job that all employers can have insane, unreasonable requirements. It just seems very saturated. Also, since the lockdowns, I feel like the industry was flooded with people who wanted to "work from home". And you can do that with medical coding. The same thing happened with freight brokering and with real estate agents.

I have maintained my certification for a year. I did my CEUs. I managed to get all of them for free, but I only needed a few for my first. I paid my membership renewal, which isn't cheap.

After two years, I have sunk a lot of time and a lot of money into this, and it has given back nothing. I am seriously considering letting my certification expire and stop sinking more money and time into it. I am already enrolled in a CNA program and can get a job the day I am done testing. It was a requirement for the degree I am enrolled for, cardiac sonography. The local hospital hires you before you finish sonography school. So no issues there. The pay is also better. Lots of organizations have sign on bonuses and will take you with absolutely no experience, just the credential. It gives the impression like the job market for this position actually needs people, and will hire them. (you don't get that impression from medical coding)

Now, I need a lot of CEUs to renew and my membership renewal is coming up in September. I found some free CEUs, but because I need so many, they will not be sufficent. Definitely will not be enough free CEUs for the next renewal either.
Should I just stop pouring money and time into something that is not doing anything for me, especially since I have given up and are moving on because my life can't wait for someone to "feel" like hiring me? I am just tired of wasting money and time. Anyone have some real life wisdom or guidance?

Regarding CEUs, there is an abundance of free CEUs available. I usually end up with well over 100 free CEUs by the time I submit every two years.

One source that I'd highly recommend is local chapter meetings because that would also give you the benefit of networking with other AAPC members in your area. Members in your area will often be able to advise on which employers hire new coders for entry-level positions. You may also be able to network with hiring managers in your region at chapter events.

If the location on your profile is correct, you're in a prime location with proximity to a number of very active local chapters. Many of the meetings will be virtual, but there will also be some in-person events too. You can view the North Carolina chapter list, see the officer contact information, and keep up on upcoming events here: https://www.aapc.com/localchapters/find-local-chapter.aspx

Revka Sterns is from North Carolina. She's a CPC-A who recently started her first coding job, and has written numerous LinkedIn posts about her coding job search, the hiring process, and the on-the-job training she's receiving at that first job. Check out her profile and read her posts here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/revka/

(If you're not on LinkedIn, I'd highly recommend getting on there and networking with other coders and HIM professionals. There's a very active coding community on LinkedIn and having an active presence there can help tap into recruiter and job advice resources.)

In addition to chapter meetings, there are other sources for finding free CEUs as well:

You probably already know about the resources on the AAPC website: the quizzes and the 4 free annual member webinars (https://www.aapc.com/membership/webinar.aspx ). If you aren't aware, there's also a free 4 CEU course about AI in Healthcare: https://www.aapc.com/training-and-events/continuing-education/ai-in-medical-coding

There are also several Facebook groups that share free CEU resources:

CEUs for AAPC (Free or Cheap) https://www.facebook.com/groups/222544295276516
The CEU HIT LIST: FREE Online CEUs https://www.facebook.com/groups/195025711151460
AAPC Chapter Events and Announcements-USA Only (a member-led information sharing group, not an official AAPC website) https://www.facebook.com/groups/1361498737698743

All members can meet their education requirements through free CEUs. (The only exception is the portion of specialty CEUs for the CIRCC specialty credential.) Some members choose to pay for CEUs for convenience or to obtain information on a specific topic that interests them. However, any member who prefers to be budget-conscious and stick to free CEUs can still meet their requirements.

I'm in Ohio and also having a problem finding coding employment. I also took the test passed the test. I'm an RN with coding experience and can now say I am a CPC however, I'm met with "sorry we have moved on to the hiring process and your application was not selected." Maybe you need to know someone to obtain employment?

I'm in Ohio and also having a problem finding coding employment. I also took the test passed the test. I'm an RN with coding experience and can now say I am a CPC however, I'm met with "sorry we have moved on to the hiring process and your application was not selected." Maybe you need to know someone to obtain employment?
As an RN with a CPC, you can also look at roles such as this: https://careers-cotiviti.icims.com/jobs/12367/auditor,-drg-coding-&-clinical-validation/job

Look into the "other side" of things, not just production coding on the hospital or provider side. Check into auditing, data analytics, payers, and RCM companies.
Those with clinical credentials and backgrounds are also positioned for CDI and charge/coding integrity roles in large hospital systems.

Check the AAPC job boards also, if you haven't yet: https://jobs.aapc.com/jobs/?_gl=1*1...*MTcxNTUxOTM3My4zNC4xLjE3MTU1MTk3NDcuMjQuMC4w

Are these in your area?

Terms to search here are Medical Records Coder, HIM, etc.

As an RN with a CPC, you can also look at roles such as this: https://careers-cotiviti.icims.com/jobs/12367/auditor,-drg-coding-&-clinical-validation/job

Look into the "other side" of things, not just production coding on the hospital or provider side. Check into auditing, data analytics, payers, and RCM companies.
Those with clinical credentials and backgrounds are also positioned for CDI and charge/coding integrity roles in large hospital systems.

Check the AAPC job boards also, if you haven't yet: https://jobs.aapc.com/jobs/?_gl=1*1...*MTcxNTUxOTM3My4zNC4xLjE3MTU1MTk3NDcuMjQuMC4w
Thank you for the valuable information. I really appreciate this!

Hi, I would keep my eyes out for the University of Kentucky jobs they post several jobs on their site that are remote and you must have your RN and CPC. Where they are a "learning facility" they hire fresh out of school and sometimes even before you have obtained your certifications. They actually just had a position open that I was interested in but I don't have my RN. I just checked and it is now closed but all you need to do is in the keyword box type "remote" and it will pull up all their remote positions open at the time.

Hi. I would join some of the networking sites, like Linkedin. Get to know people and let them know you are looking for a job.

I'm in Texas and also having a problem finding coding employment. I also took the test passed the test. I applied everyday, and everyone needs more than 2 years experience. If they don't give me an opportunity, how can I earn that experience.

Hi everyone! I took am working on my CPC. Took the certification exam but didn't pass it. I've started looking at revenue cycle jobs that would hopefully hire based on completion of the course until I get my credentials. That's at least the advice I was reading from someone who does hiring. So far, nothing but one healthcare facility was supposedly moving my app forward to the recruiter. This was on 05/09. So, I hope they'll reach out soon. I'm unemployed and getting really nervous. My first attempt was to take the exam at home which they forfeited for very stupid reasons. But I managed to get another voucher to take it again. I hate I didn't pass it on my actual first try. Made a huge mistaken not utilizing the practice tests. Now, I see the benefit of that. The testing center was horrible in Vegas. I had to drive over 2 hrs to get there. I really hope this doesn't backfire because I can't afford to be out of work for another month. :(

Hi, I would keep my eyes out for the University of Kentucky jobs they post several jobs on their site that are remote and you must have your RN and CPC. Where they are a "learning facility" they hire fresh out of school and sometimes even before you have obtained your certifications. They actually just had a position open that I was interested in but I don't have my RN. I just checked and it is now closed but all you need to do is in the keyword box type "remote" and it will pull up all their remote positions open at the time.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it

In most organizations, coding is not an entry level position. People generally hate hearing about applying for foot in the door jobs but there is tremendous value in those positions. Many organizations will hire people with no experience for those positions. I got a job in medical billing 10 years ago with no experience. I previously worked in retail. My billing job led me to a coding job which led me to a position as an Epic Trainer. I teach our billers and coders how to use Epic. I do not do any billing or coding for my job but my experience and knowledge in those fields made me a good hire even though I had never used Epic before. It was a lot easier for them to send me to Epic for Epic training than invest months teaching someone with Epic experience about the revenue cycle, billing and coding. I encourage anyone that wants to work as a coder to apply for and accept any position that will get them in the medical field. Don't close yourself off to other positions because you want to be a coder. You don't know where these jobs can lead you. I love everything about my current job and I am making a lot more money. If I was dead set on only doing coding I would have missed out on this amazing opportunity.

Hi JLHunt,

I can understand your frustration while looking for a coder job. I don’t think it is necessary to have some sort of connection to be able to land a coding job. It is really the matter of time and being patient. I did some research about Coding and thought that might be a good career. I obtained CPC certificate in 2021 while working as Medical Assistant. Actually, I wasn’t actively looking for a coder job at the time. I was also studying to apply for nursing school. However, I logged on to job market websites every now and then to see if there is any opportunities. I did apply for the hospital where I was working as a Medical Assistant for number of times whenever they have a Coding job open. I never even received a job interview offer though.

I wasn’t able to land a coding job until a year later when I was working as Medical Assistant at a different practice. I checked the internal job board very regularly. As soon as I saw a coding position, then I put in my application. Even though the job description requires 2 year coding experience which I didn’t have, to my surprise I was offered the job within a week after the interview. It was my luck I know :)

It is very frustrating to find an entry-level coding job. However, in my opinion, don’t just focus on looking for coding job. You can expand your job search for different positions in revenue cycle management such as patient registration, insurance verification, insurance follow-up, charge entry/billing, payment posting, revenue cycle specialist or any clinical assisting job. All of those jobs will provide you very very very useful knowledge when you are able to get in coding if you’re still interested. One more advise from my experience, don’t overlook a job with private practices. These might be places that can give you a lot of learning opportunities.

Hope that helps. Good lucks with your career journey!

In most organizations, coding is not an entry level position. People generally hate hearing about applying for foot in the door jobs but there is tremendous value in those positions. Many organizations will hire people with no experience for those positions. I got a job in medical billing 10 years ago with no experience. I previously worked in retail. My billing job led me to a coding job which led me to a position as an Epic Trainer. I teach our billers and coders how to use Epic. I do not do any billing or coding for my job but my experience and knowledge in those fields made me a good hire even though I had never used Epic before. It was a lot easier for them to send me to Epic for Epic training than invest months teaching someone with Epic experience about the revenue cycle, billing and coding. I encourage anyone that wants to work as a coder to apply for and accept any position that will get them in the medical field. Don't close yourself off to other positions because you want to be a coder. You don't know where these jobs can lead you. I love everything about my current job and I am making a lot more money. If I was dead set on only doing coding I would have missed out on this amazing opportunity.
I love hearing stories like this. I was hoping to find a position in revenue cycle or something close to it. I think having my credentials will better suite me into getting a position similar to needing some coding knowledge and not necessarily a coding job. Sort of like an entry level to it. I started working on the Practicode and it certainly gave me a run for my money. Some ppl don't think it's real life coding but i definitely feels like it.

Hi JLHunt,

I can understand your frustration while looking for a coder job. I don’t think it is necessary to have some sort of connection to be able to land a coding job. It is really the matter of time and being patient. I did some research about Coding and thought that might be a good career. I obtained CPC certificate in 2021 while working as Medical Assistant. Actually, I wasn’t actively looking for a coder job at the time. I was also studying to apply for nursing school. However, I logged on to job market websites every now and then to see if there is any opportunities. I did apply for the hospital where I was working as a Medical Assistant for number of times whenever they have a Coding job open. I never even received a job interview offer though.

I wasn’t able to land a coding job until a year later when I was working as Medical Assistant at a different practice. I checked the internal job board very regularly. As soon as I saw a coding position, then I put in my application. Even though the job description requires 2 year coding experience which I didn’t have, to my surprise I was offered the job within a week after the interview. It was my luck I know :)

It is very frustrating to find an entry-level coding job. However, in my opinion, don’t just focus on looking for coding job. You can expand your job search for different positions in revenue cycle management such as patient registration, insurance verification, insurance follow-up, charge entry/billing, payment posting, revenue cycle specialist or any clinical assisting job. All of those jobs will provide you very very very useful knowledge when you are able to get in coding if you’re still interested. One more advise from my experience, don’t overlook a job with private practices. These might be places that can give you a lot of learning opportunities.

Hope that helps. Good lucks with your career journey!
Really good advice. If I'm not mistaken, I thought having a CPC not a CPC-A is supposed to be the equivalent of 2 yrs of coding experience? I am currently looking to apply at a hospital that wants either the credentials or the work experience. So, keeping my fingers crossed I pass this cert exam and hope the position is still open.

Really good advice. If I'm not mistaken, I thought having a CPC not a CPC-A is supposed to be the equivalent of 2 yrs of coding experience? I am currently looking to apply at a hospital that wants either the credentials or the work experience. So, keeping my fingers crossed I pass this cert exam and hope the position is still open.

To remove Apprentice title, AAPC requires 2 years of experience or 1 year with coding/billing education certificate. Actually, you can expand your job search to surgery coordinator/scheduler. Although this job description does not require coding certificate, I find that if you have coding knowledge you would be a valuable asset to that practice as a surgery coordinator. This position is a bridging gap in communication with provider, patient and insurances, and is a front line key role in effective revenue management. One of major duties is in charge of requesting surgery prior authorization from insurance payers. It is very important to request as accurate procedure codes as possible which will alleviate a lot of nuisance in billing and reimbursement revenue. I have worked a lot of denials which I wish prior authorization could be done better in terms of coding.

To remove Apprentice title, AAPC requires 2 years of experience or 1 year with coding/billing education certificate. Actually, you can expand your job search to surgery coordinator/scheduler. Although this job description does not require coding certificate, I find that if you have coding knowledge you would be a valuable asset to that practice as a surgery coordinator. This position is a bridging gap in communication with provider, patient and insurances, and is a front line key role in effective revenue management. One of major duties is in charge of requesting surgery prior authorization from insurance payers. It is very important to request as accurate procedure codes as possible which will alleviate a lot of nuisance in billing and reimbursement revenue. I have worked a lot of denials which I wish prior authorization could be done better in terms of coding.
Awesome!

Just something I know that the AAPC will also remove the "A" if you complete their practicode. I took the course directly with them and also have the practicode. So, it works fine to have it removed but I'm thinking about what employers consider as 2 yrs coding experience. I"m guessing, it doesn't work the same as the AAPC removing the "A". I think this is where the frustration comes in because if you're not coding in a current job role or previous, just working in a field that doesn't involve coding and then taking up the coding course and eventually becoming certified still leaves you without the actual experience.

I am actively looking at positions that could involve coding but it's not exactly a job as a coder. Positions like what you named has come up and also revenue cycle. Although, some revenue cycle positions don't even mention needing coding. This job search is exhausting.

It’s so many of us in this situation & it aggravating to know that many more will get caught in this same net. It’s been two years for me & I’m wondering the same, do I find something else? They are making so much money but, where is the person in the company that’s going to go the extra mile & actually do what it takes to prove what’s advertised? Like that percentage of people that actually gets hired after obtaining the CPC. They advertise Project Xtern but, when you email them the emails are invalid. I thought once I moved to TX my issues would’ve been over with job hunting, I was wrong. Added to my debt for the CPB preparation course, waste of money and time. Another thing, practicode to remove the A for new coders is brutal just like the test was. Once you do pass that & remove it, you still struggle to get job cause 9/10 employers don’t even know what practicode is. Well, may luck find us all & give us a chance.

It’s so many of us in this situation & it aggravating to know that many more will get caught in this same net. It’s been two years for me & I’m wondering the same, do I find something else? They are making so much money but, where is the person in the company that’s going to go the extra mile & actually do what it takes to prove what’s advertised? Like that percentage of people that actually gets hired after obtaining the CPC. They advertise Project Xtern but, when you email them the emails are invalid. I thought once I moved to TX my issues would’ve been over with job hunting, I was wrong. Added to my debt for the CPB preparation course, waste of money and time. Another thing, practicode to remove the A for new coders is brutal just like the test was. Once you do pass that & remove it, you still struggle to get job cause 9/10 employers don’t even know what practicode is. Well, may luck find us all & give us a chance.
Agreed!
I found ONE employer, USPI (United Surgical Partners International) https://careers.uspi.com/job/dallas/uspi-asc-coder-remote-based-in-us/26425/64691220704. They have an old posting for this job that mentioned Practicode. I think there may have been another one but I can't be sure. I even tried for a position that wanted either the coder credentials, education, and or experience. I thought it would allow me a way in if I at least showed I completed the course. I'm going to try more of the other positions that are not directly coder but has some coding involved. It's the only way to actually build experience from what I can tell.

I'm still working on Practicode. It's definitely challenging. Trying really hard not to feel defeated. Good luck everyone!

Not to discourage anyone, but I've worked in the Medical Records (HIM/HIS) department at our local hospital since 2002. Up until 2014, coders were included in our department. At that time, we were "acquired" by a larger organization and our coders either retired or started working from home. In 2021 I obtained my CPC-A certification. I was thinking that I could easily transition into a coding position since I already worked at the hospital, but that wasn't the case. This organization requires at least one year of coding experience; no exceptions! Had I pursued coding prior to the "acquisition", I would have had a coding job as the previous organization liked to "home grow" their coders and train them themselves. In August of 2023 I was able to obtain a Risk Adjustment contract position (which I really enjoyed). The position was due to last at least a year, with the possibility of being hired with the company after that. Unfortunately on January 24, 2024, about 1000 or more of us were terminated/furloughed with no notice. I was able to submit my education and 6 months experience to AAPC to work toward getting my "A" removed. Also, fortunate for me, I was able to go back to my position at the hospital. There are some who were furloughed who are still looking for work. My AAPC membership was up for renewal in February 2024 which was during the time I wasn't working and I thought about letting it go. I refuse to pay for Practicode just to have the "A" removed since it doesn't count toward experience. People always say get a "foot-in-the-door" position until you get to a coding position. I feel like I have both feet in the door, but it doesn't matter. I guess it depends on the organization you choose to work for. Good luck to everyone searching for their first coding position. It will happen when it's our time.💛

I would encourage you to look into coding for the Veterans Administration. They will hire and train CPC-A, and there are often openings available.

I should add that the frequency of openings is not typically due to high turnover. The VA is the largest health system in the US, so it needs many coders to support its operations. As coders retire, they need to be replaced.

(Some may leave due to attrition, but my understanding from conversations with others is that coders tend to stay long-term once they are hired at the VA. Perhaps due to the stability and federal benefits!)

There is a current VA coder who frequently posts tips on how to get hired by the VA in the Entry Level Medical Coders Facebook group. If you go to that group and search for "VA" or "Veterans Administration," you should easily be able to find her posts: https://www.facebook.com/groups/368427913735844

I would encourage you to look into coding for the Veterans Administration. They will hire and train CPC-A, and there are often openings available.

I should add that the frequency of openings is not typically due to high turnover. The VA is the largest health system in the US, so it needs many coders to support its operations. As coders retire, they need to be replaced.

(Some may leave due to attrition, but my understanding from conversations with others is that coders tend to stay long-term once they are hired at the VA. Perhaps due to the stability and federal benefits!)

There is a current VA coder who frequently posts tips on how to get hired by the VA in the Entry Level Medical Coders Facebook group. If you go to that group and search for "VA" or "Veterans Administration," you should easily be able to find her posts: https://www.facebook.com/groups/368427913735844
Thanks!

Not to discourage anyone, but I've worked in the Medical Records (HIM/HIS) department at our local hospital since 2002. Up until 2014, coders were included in our department. At that time, we were "acquired" by a larger organization and our coders either retired or started working from home. In 2021 I obtained my CPC-A certification. I was thinking that I could easily transition into a coding position since I already worked at the hospital, but that wasn't the case. This organization requires at least one year of coding experience; no exceptions! Had I pursued coding prior to the "acquisition", I would have had a coding job as the previous organization liked to "home grow" their coders and train them themselves. In August of 2023 I was able to obtain a Risk Adjustment contract position (which I really enjoyed). The position was due to last at least a year, with the possibility of being hired with the company after that. Unfortunately on January 24, 2024, about 1000 or more of us were terminated/furloughed with no notice. I was able to submit my education and 6 months experience to AAPC to work toward getting my "A" removed. Also, fortunate for me, I was able to go back to my position at the hospital. There are some who were furloughed who are still looking for work. My AAPC membership was up for renewal in February 2024 which was during the time I wasn't working and I thought about letting it go. I refuse to pay for Practicode just to have the "A" removed since it doesn't count toward experience. People always say get a "foot-in-the-door" position until you get to a coding position. I feel like I have both feet in the door, but it doesn't matter. I guess it depends on the organization you choose to work for. Good luck to everyone searching for their first coding position. It will happen when it's our time.💛
Oh goodness! Thank you for this. It certainly seems like you have to know someone and I'm strictly looking for telecommute work. When I Google for positions, there seems to be tons of them out there but that experience is a deal breaker.

Ugh! We'll get our chance. I just know it.

I've seen that position before. I'm going to definitely go back and apply once I get this cert exam taken and passed.

Thank you for this. :)