Wiki Billing for a Physician that Suddenly Dies

dburchett

Contributor
Best answers
Please forgive me if this has been discussed before. I tried to search for a similar thread but couldn't find one. We have a provider that suddenly passed away. Most of his notes are complete to include charges and diagnosis codes and proper documentation, just not signed off. I can't seem to find out how to handle this online. Do you all have any advice on where to go to find some documentation on how to handle this? I want to handle this correctly.

Best,

David

I found this out on the web:

Medicare Audit Guidelines for Provider Signatures - Unique Signature Situations

Physician was present at the visit, but was unable to sign the record due to death or relocation – If the provider is in a group practice, another provider within the group may sign on his/her behalf; however the following information must be provided:

The submitting provider, John W. Smith, M.D., is unable to sign this medical record because he expired on 10/08/08.
or
John W. Smith, M.D. relocated to Colorado on 10/08/08 and was unable to sign this medical record.

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before. I tried to search for a similar thread but couldn't find one. We have a provider that suddenly passed away. Most of his notes are complete to include charges and diagnosis codes and proper documentation, just not signed off. I can't seem to find out how to handle this online. Do you all have any advice on where to go to find some documentation on how to handle this? I want to handle this correctly.

Best,

David
David,

I am currently in this situation. What did you end up doing with the incomplete notes? We have a scribe that does his notes based on what he documented in the paper chart (yes, he used paper charts). Did you have any issues with claims processing? I have been unable to find information on what to do when a provider passes away. Any guidance you can offer is much appreciated.

Kathy

David,

I am currently in this situation. What did you end up doing with the incomplete notes? We have a scribe that does his notes based on what he documented in the paper chart (yes, he used paper charts). Did you have any issues with claims processing? I have been unable to find information on what to do when a provider passes away. Any guidance you can offer is much appreciated.

Kathy
We signed them out with a disclaimer that our attorney provided stating that the physician passed away before the note could be completed. We didn't bill for those claims.